Tuesday, January 26, 2010

God's good gifts

The last 24 hours have been awesome.

'...which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!'
Matthew 7.9-11

Last night we were in Alabama, and Leah and I talked for a while about what we were learning about prayer. The idea that the Lord wants to give us good gifts is so hard for us to grasp. I know it's true. But I am so arrogant that I want to feel like I have earned the things I'm given--that I'm good enough to receive good things. (That is obviously not the case: Psalm 14.3, Ephesians 1.3-14) Every good gift comes from above (James 1.17). It has nothing to do with me and everything to do with God (Ezekiel 36.22, 32).

Today the Lord overwhelmed me with this truth in so many ways:
  1. Morgan and I have been praying that God would give her real, deep spiritual relationships since September. Today Morgan told about a number of incredible conversations and friends that the Lord has brought into her life this week.
    What a gift.
  2. While gassing up the car (on our 700 mile drive from Alabama to Florida), I noticed that one of our tires was leaking air. A guy at the gas station said there was a repair shop down the road. We went there, a man immediately checked the both front tires, found some wear, and replaced them both within 10 minutes. The way the Lord orchestrated us stopping and hearing the leak at the very place where someone could fix it so quickly...
    What a gift.
  3. Andrew wasn't going to be able to go on Barnabas this summer. Yet instead of being frustrated or blaming people (or the Lord), he's continued to pursue the Lord - serving, learning, growing. Just today he found out that he is able to go. I can't even tell you how excited he is. (and me too--I'm so pumped this kid is going) And he acknowledged this for what it is ...
    A gift.
Oh gosh I could go on and on. The Lord is blowing me away with how he answers prayer. And every time, it's a gift.

Day 4 of the 30 day adventure.
Stats so far: 9 states, 1951 miles, 2 new tires.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home