Wednesday, April 14, 2010

God is the gospel.

I can't get enough of books. Read this a couple weeks ago:

I love being married, but I love being married because it unites me with my wife. In the same way, I love the gospel, but I love the gospel because it unites me with my Savior.
Total Church, Chester & Timmis

Just yesterday I listened to the first part of a sermon by John Piper that talked about the same idea. (I'm planning to listen to the second part today. And these sermons grew from his book, God is the Gospel, which I read last year. Heavy read, but totally worth it.) This idea that the heart of the gospel, the thing that we should be treasuring above all else, is God. Certainly we receive many beautiful, important things from the gospel -- justification, propitiation, sanctification, eternal life, freedom from sin... the list goes on and on. But if any of those things become central, become the thing that I value above all else, become ultimate, then I'm missing the point.

I love the gospel because it unites me with my Savior.

That should be the cry of each one of us.
Not
  • I love the gospel because it gives me peace.
  • I love the gospel because I'm going to heaven.
  • I love the gospel because I'm not going to hell.
  • I love the gospel because I've found a place to belong.
  • I love the gospel because I'm free from sin.
  • I love the gospel because I'm declared holy and righteous.

All of these things are true. And I rejoice in all of these things.
But they are not ultimate.

I love the gospel because it unites me with my Savior.
Can I say that with honesty today? Can you?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home