Friday, April 9, 2010

priorities...

Steven Furtick is the lead pastor of Elevation Church in Charlotte, North Carolina. Elevation (as of 2008) is the second fastest growing church in the nation. Now I definitely don't believe numbers are everything -- but with the second fastest growing church in the nation, Furtick certainly has plenty of things and people vying for his attention.

Yesterday, his ministries pastor posted an entry on Furtick's blog titled 'Generation'. The sentence that got me was this:

In a meeting at the end of 2009, Pastor Steven looked at me and said, "I want to see every student at Elevation Church in a small group...I'm so passionate about this that I want to lead the charge by having my own student group." -- and so, Generation [Furtick's student group] was born.

Generation was a small group of 12 students who were chosen based on their potential to become great leaders. They met for 10 weeks and went through an intense discipleship process with Furtick. (Read the whole story here.)

I know you can't always be personally involved in everything that you think is important to your ministry/church. But I also know that your leadership sets the pace. So I love this. I love that Furtick not only says that student small groups are essential, but he then puts action behind his words by leading a student small group. And not only does he lead a group, he leads the most intense, dynamic group those people have probably ever seen.

If you're in ministry, you're busy. There's plenty that you are doing, and even more that you could be doing. I'm not saying add one more thing. Necessarily. But can you step back today, and just ask yourself these 2 questions:

Based on the ultimate goal of [whatever your ministry is],
is there something that is not my priority that should be?
and
Is there something that is my priority that should not be?

Furtick's staff, adults, and youth all now know that student small groups are essential. Not because he said it, but because he showed it. What is 'it' for you?

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home