Wednesday, February 10, 2010

i don't like it....

...but I'm a worrier. Not about some things (I'll drink the milk that's been setting out for a day or so, I'll move to Thailand without knowing anyone, I'll hitchhike in Africa [okay that one did worry me some...]). The older I get, the more I find myself worrying. I read an article, 'Thinking Biblically about Worry' by Paul David Tripp, that was so insightful... instead of rewording it, I'm just going to give you some of my favorite parts:

'Worry is not caused by what exists outside of us. No, worry is caused by what is going on inside of us... Sin causes every one of us to live for ourselves... Sin makes us scarily self-focused, self-absorbed, and self-motivated... As a result of sin, no longer do we attach our inner peace to a God who is the definition of wisdom, power, and love and who will never, ever change... Things that were not designed to give us peace and over which we have no control become our replacement messiahs. We ask them to do for us what only God is able to do.'

'Matthew 6.19-34 ... teaches us that behind every moment of worry is a war for the heart. This battle is about whether our hearts will be effectively and functionally ruled by the kingdom of God or the kingdom of self.'

'Worry and rest always reveal the true treasures of your heart. You will rest the most when what you treasure the most is secure, and you will worry the most when what you treasure the most is at risk.'

2 truths about worry: '1. You will tend to worry when you've attached the vitality of your life to things you don't actually need and can't ever control. 2. You will tend to worry in the face of legitimate need when you forget your heavenly Father and His ever-faithful covenant love.'

'Defeating worry is about being a good soldier in this deeper war for the heart. It is about fighting the temptation to attach the peace of your heart to things that are temporary and, therefore, are not organically designed to give you lasting peace. It is about daily feeding your soul on the promises and provisions of your heavenly Father.'

When I understand worry as a war for my heart, that it's an issue of placing my trust in the Lord rather in myself (or my job, or my relationships, or my stuff), I am forced to acknowledge that worry is serious. It's sin. I'm not just 'naturally a worrier'. I'm naturally a sinner. Thank the Lord Jesus for his grace and forgiveness and patience as he sanctifies me. I want to pursue holiness, and so I want to think biblically about worry. I hope you'll join me.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home