Thursday, January 7, 2010

promises

In August I read Battling Unbelief by John Piper. I was challenged in a number of ways, but the overarching theme of the book is that we fall into sin when we cease believing the promises of God. Piper cites dozens of promises throughout the book as he discusses various common sins.

And I started to wonder... how many promises did God make in Scripture? I bet there are all kinds of promises-not just promises that are specific to us, but also promises to individuals throughout Scripture that teach us more about the Lord's character.

So in August I started in Genesis. I'm just working my way through. And I'm writing down every promise that I find. I've almost filled a whole journal.

It's now January and I'm in Jeremiah. And I continue to be astonished at all the God has promised. Our God is so amazing.

This is one that I read this morning. It's a promise that was specifically made to Jeremiah, but 'this great promise also has wider application to all the people of God, particularly as they call out for understanding and he gives them understanding of his word and his purpose in their lives.' (ESV study Bible):

'Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things you have not known.' Jeremiah 33.3

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home