Wednesday, January 6, 2010

giftedness. character.

It’s said that giftedness is what gets you places, but character is what keeps you there. We need to focus on the character of people and intentionally think through whether or not giving them a leadership position (in any capacity) is best for their long term character development. We don’t usually think about it this way. We see the gifts someone has and then typically release them in ministry. But often times this can lead to a damaged heart and potentially one filled with so much pride that it causes their ministry to come to an end.

Chuck Bomar said this on his blog this week. I've been reading and rereading it.
  • Thinking about the students that I know. Literally students all over the country, in various stages of high school and college, with more opportunities to lead and serve than I could even tell you about.
  • Thinking about students that I personally have pushed or placed in leadership.
  • Thinking about students that have succeeded tremendously.
  • Thinking about students that have fallen apart.
  • Thinking about my own successes.... my own failures.

I can identify a kid with 'leadership potential'. Potential that is wrapped up in their gifts. And, to be honest, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. The Lord gifts us in different ways, and leadership is certainly a gift. (Not that you can't lead at all without the gift of leadership... but that's another conversation entirely.)

But how do I develop leaders? Do I spend so much time and effort on their skills as a leader that I miss their character?

And, more personally, do I do that with myself?
...Sometimes, yeah. I totally do. With myself, and with others.

There are huge implications here. This is something that deserves some attention.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home