Tuesday, October 6, 2009

college students. and church. i'm getting worked up...

I have the privilege of discipling 3 different young women this year. One is a senior in high school, and 2 are freshmen in college. The discipleship process looks different for each one of them. I love each of them, love working with each one of them, and love seeing the unique things that God is doing in each of their lives.

There are also a number of Barnabas students from the last few years that are freshmen in college this year, and they, along with Morgan & Leah (my 2 freshmen), have been working through something that I'm becoming more and more passionate about. What is it? I'll tell you...

choosing a church

As I talk to Morgan, and to Leah, and to numerous other college freshmen about this topic, I'm learning that so many students do not know how to choose a church on their own. Now, we can't really fault them for this -- most students have gone to church with their family for their whole lives. They've never had to choose a church on their own before.

But as I recognize that truth, I'm starting to wonder something...

Why aren't we doing more to prepare our college students to find a church in college?

  • We should teach them to read a church's statement of faith
  • ... and that it's okay (and even important) to visit a lot of churches before they choose one
  • ... and what are points of doctrine that are non-negotiable ('close-handed issues')
  • ... and what are matters of preference that can be different than the way things are at their home church ('open-handed issues')
  • ... and that going to church is not an option
  • ... and what the definition of a church is (looking for a good one? Check out Driscoll's work in Vintage Church)
I don't even think it's too much to say that someone (discipler, parent, youth pastor) from a student's home church should do a little research alongside the student on churches in the area. Help your student, even before they leave for school, to develop a list of churches that are worth checking out.

It's exciting for me to talk with Leah and with Morgan about the churches that they visit. To hear what they liked, what they didn't like, how they're learning about biblical non-negotiables of church, how they're recognizing their own preferences. I love it.

If you know a college freshman, I challenge you to give them a call this week and ask them how the church hunt is going. I bet they'll appreciate it.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home